Washi Whatsits

Washi Tape is a whole new thing to me (and to Stampin’ Up! so I had to find out  a bit more about it and then have a play with it.

“The whole Washi tape phenomenon started in 2006. A group of artists approached a Japanese masking tape manufacturer – Kamoi Kakoshi – and presented them with a book of art they had created using the company’s industrial masking tapes. The artists requested that Kamoi Kakoshi manufacture colourful masking tapes for artists.” source –http://www.omiyageblogs.ca/2011/11/what-is-washi-tape.html

Basically Washi Tape is pretty masking tape! At this stage Stampin’ Up! has two different packs each with 4.6m rolls of 3 different designs. My guess would be there are more planned for release as this is such a useful product  which is also easy on the budget.

Here is the Treat bag I made for each of the attendees at my last Papercrafters Day (next one is July 28th, same Bat Time, same Bat Channel)

P1010972 (640x598)

Gotta love that gingham wheel! See the wee Washi Tape flag, so quick to make! And the best thing was the attendees could pop this piece off the bag AND use it on a project of their own.
P1010973 (640x592)

Now to the results of my play. I already had some ideas from a demonstration we had at our team training a few weeks ago ( Thanks Ria and Bernie) so I went from there and created these 4 wee 3X3 note cards

P1010998 (640x334)

For the front one I used the tape to form a frame around the card. I love how it darkens the colour as the pieces cross in the corners.

For the one on the right I just added a strip of each tape on the card and stamped an image on it using StazOn Jet Black Ink.

P1010999 (640x335)

As for the last two they share a secret. On the left I layered the widest and narrowest tapes at a pair of diagonal corners, then used the 3rd pattern to cover a small piece of card which I could punch out a butterfly from. I then punched out a layer for it from Island Indigo. Then I started on the last card creating a herringbone kind of pattern. What now I thought and then it came to me. The leftover negative image of the butterfly! So I trimmed it to shape and added it over the top of the herringbone pattern. Clever Me!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s